Browse our Categories
- Regular price
- Sale price
- Regular price
- Sale price
- Regular price
- Sale price
Find the right grand piano bench at Jansen
The grand piano is the most majestic of all keyboards, the kind most pianists feel compelled to master. It’s a musical instrument that demands a lot of special care and attention—including getting the right bench. Finding a proper seat for a grand piano is vital for pianists of all skill levels, whether they’re just starting to learn or have played for years.
Jansen Piano Benches’ inventory of grand piano benches reflects the high standards we expect for all our seating products. We carry a wide variety that caters to musicians at all stages of expertise, with a range of styles, colors, functions, and options.
Varieties and options for your grand piano bench
No two players approach the grand piano the same way. Jansen’s grand piano benches come in a great variety of styles, colors, sizes, and prices that cater to a cross-section of pianists. Some of our specifications include:
- Top styles – We offer both straight, flat-top seats or comfortable, upholstered benches.
- Colors and finish – Our benches are built with maple hardwood and are available in shades of ebony, mahogany, or walnut, with or without finishing.
- Leg styles – The legs on our grand piano benches can be customized in the style you prefer: square, rounded or octagonal; tapered, ferruled, reeded or fluted; and more.
- Adjustability – We have a selection of adjustable grand piano benches for easy reach of the keyboard from all ages and sizes of players.
- Storage capacity – Our grand piano benches come with flip-up storage space for sheet music and small equipment.
- Duet size – Jansen can produce a duet grand piano bench ideal for student-teacher seating or two-person playing.
- Usage – We have both traditional, elegant piano benches for performance or home playing, and durable, long-lasting benches for schools, rehearsal spaces, churches, or other heavy-use environments.
- Price ranges – With prices between $180 and $500, Jansen Piano Bench has a grand piano bench for every budget.
What’s the difference between a grand piano bench and a traditional or upright bench?
Grand pianos are obviously bigger in overall size than traditional upright or spinet pianos, but some of the size differences are more subtle than one might expect. The height of the keyboard of a grand piano is shorter, closer to the floor than traditional pianos. A grand piano bench—typically an inch or so shorter than an upright bench—is more appropriately positioned for players so their hands can rest more comfortably on the keys and their feet easily reach the pedals. Using a traditional piano bench with a grand makes for a more difficult position for the player.
Most grand piano benches are slightly wider than traditional benches and are built in proportion to the entire width of the instrument. A grand piano bench makes it easier for players to reach the entire span of the keyboard gracefully with more support.
Grand pianos also generally have more aesthetic appeal than traditional pianos. Besides being superior instruments, they also reflect a sense of style and elegance. The bench for a grand piano echoes that sophisticated and refined look more than a traditional bench.
Benefits of different grand piano bench styles
Whether you use a single or duet grand piano bench, each type has certain elements that make it more appropriate for both the player and the instrument.
The right grand piano bench makes the player more comfortable for extended periods, which makes extended playing sessions much more sustainable. Simply by making long practice sessions and rehearsals more tolerable, a good grand piano bench can legitimately make it easier to develop the pianist’s skills.
Being longer than a traditional or upright piano seat, a grand piano bench is ideally constructed to provide easier key reach, more ideal angling of the wrist and elbow, and better movement across the span of keys. This seating encourages more natural movement while playing pieces that use the whole width of the keyboard. In this way, a grand piano bench helps pianists become better, more agile, and natural players.
Grand piano benches of varied types have their other special advantages:
- Duet grand piano bench - Many grand piano benches are either designed as two-seaters or have enough width to accommodate a couple of pianists. For that reason, the duet grand piano bench is the seat of choice for piano educators and in-home teachers, since the instructor can physically guide players more directly.
- Adjustable grand piano bench - Lowering or raising a grand piano bench, even by as little as a quarter-inch, can make a huge difference in the pianist’s reach, arm angles, and comfort. An adjustable bench is also a good choice for pianos that are used by multiple people at various times.
- Wood top grand piano bench - A straight, flat-top wood bench can match the overall style and look of a grand piano. Its simplicity makes it a versatile option for grand pianos of all kinds. Wood-top benches are also built to last longer. If it fades or loses its luster after years of use, a wood-top bench is easier to refinish to make it look like new again.
- Upholstered top grand piano bench - Padded piano benches make long hours at the piano a bit more comfortable, making extended practices more comfortable for the player. Upholstered piano benches are also favorably priced because of the materials used for the cushion.
The Jansen difference
The people behind Jansen Piano Bench have a rich history and a great deal of experience in the piano industry. They’ve also worked extensively with piano instructors and performance pianists to learn about the qualities they need the most from a piano bench. They use everything they’ve learned from professional pianists and instructors to build a line of grand piano benches that reflects the styles and personalities of all different types of players.
The grand piano is an enduring product of centuries of great musical tradition. Jansen’s grand piano benches are designed and built to inspire and encourage its continued use in the future. Order your Jansen grand piano bench from our online site, or contact us to find out more.